Re: A1000IS porting...
« Reply #110 on: 27 / March / 2009, 04:23:35 »
Advertisements
@quuxman

when formatting a partition in camera, be sure to set "Low Level format" off

wim

« Reply #111 on: 27 / March / 2009, 18:26:18 »
whim: I tried with low level formatting on and off. Either way it wiped out the whole partition table.

Apparently other people in this thread have gotten Diablo's firmware working on the A1000IS. Could any of you be so kind as to relate exactly what you did to get it to work? I'd greatly appreciate it :).
« Last Edit: 28 / March / 2009, 10:17:20 by quuxman »

« Reply #112 on: 28 / March / 2009, 12:35:33 »
> make bootable

The partition editors (any of them) won't insert the necessary text in the MBR which CHDK looks for. You need to manually enter the text "BOOTDISK"

« Reply #113 on: 28 / March / 2009, 13:02:39 »
Continued... Sorry I hit enter too quick. <g>

Follow the instructions in whims link

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card

and note that if one of the easy scripts of programs on the above link don't work for you, you need to use a hexeditor to go into the MBR to insert the text "BOOTDISK" at the correct offset. This can be a pain, depending on what tools you have and are used to using, but there's nothing complicated about the concept - CHDK  must find that text at that location. What tools you have depends on your operating system and some hex editors are more hinderance than help; fortunately there are quite few out there to choose from so you can find one that works for you.

The 2 partition scheme for CHDK doesn't work reliably (as of Feb 2009, the last I checked). Get a card working w/one FAT16 partition (4GB) first to make sure you've got the basics nailed. Then try a small FAT12 or FAT16 (remember to insert the "BOOTDISK" text CHDK wants) partition w/a 2nd FAT32. What I experienced was that CHDK boots the small partition and ignores the larger one. Perhaps the code has advanced recently, but another problem is that diablo's bin file is based on the CHDK code from Dec/08 and that won't change until another decent assembler programmer steps up and continues this project.

Diablo has made his source available for now at

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UmNKOGNXcWZQb0t4dnc9PQ

"This just includes modified files. You need to checkout and replace files. I know some files might have updated version in the tree. It might not be a good idea to replace those. So Let me know if you want exact diff."

Perhaps if the root code for the 2nd partition has been stabilized it might be possible to create an updated bin file for the A1000 from diablos code w/out detail programming; but that hasn't been done yet.

Rufus

« Reply #114 on: 28 / March / 2009, 17:45:57 »
rlaggren: thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I've been writing "BOOTDISK" in the appropriate place. I'm using the command from the wiki:

echo -n BOOTDISK | dd bs=1 count=8 seek=64 of=/dev/sdc1

And I've verified with a hex editor that it's showing up in the partition at the right offset.

I should have thought of making a single smaller FAT16 partition. I tried that now, but it's still not working.

Offline EyP3

« Reply #115 on: 30 / March / 2009, 15:29:58 »
quuxman, were you able to get your firmware revision?
Depending on 'a' or 'b' you have to use a different chdk binary, otherwise chdk would not boot.
Did you try cardtricks.exe to prepare your card? It is available from here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Cardtricks
Don't give up, just come back and ask.
Norbert

« Reply #116 on: 03 / April / 2009, 00:11:22 »
Saw the CHDK on hackaday.com a couple weeks back.
So when i picked up a new camera today i thought. i should grab a cannon powershot and see if i can get this CHDK to work. Not knowing the complexity of how CHDK works i grabbed the nicer a1000is power shot. firmware 1.00B ;)

So yes im a noob to this. I have the memory card formatted using cardtricks. i grabbed the DISKBOOT.bin file from a previous post. what else do i need? What should the memory card layout look like?

I'm thinking CHDK has more code then just the bin file right? i guess i could pull another cameras code down and see what i should have.

Diablos link to the source files is down so i can get that stuff. I will keep reading through everything. But if anyone has any more info that would be great. :) Thanks.

edit: i guess after i registerd, the first post has some files too :) i only saw the bin file my first time through after i registerd. That needs to like show you there is a file but cant download until you register or something? Anyways ill post back if everything is good.
« Last Edit: 03 / April / 2009, 00:15:09 by pRoFiT »

Offline EyP3

« Reply #117 on: 04 / April / 2009, 11:32:52 »
Profit,
all you need to download is cardtricks.exe and the CHDK binary.
When you prepare your memory card using cardtricks, you should have a CHDK directory on your memory card with 9 subfolders (books, curves, data, fonts, grids, lang, logs, scripts and symbols), you don't have to create these folders manually.
Store the correct diskboot.bin, which you can download here after registering, into the root directory of your card and your'e done.
Set the write protect on your memory card to 'on', put it into the camera and switch on. If all works well you should see the CHDK logo after switching on the camera. Otherwise you get the card locked message.
You need diablo's sources only if you want to continue the porting. Would be great of course if somebody could do this.
Norbert

« Reply #118 on: 10 / April / 2009, 23:29:21 »
I see Diablo's fileshare post has expired.  Is there another location for the latest A1000is CHDK file to try?

Thanks

« Reply #119 on: 11 / April / 2009, 02:34:37 »
I see Diablo's fileshare post has expired.  Is there another location for the latest A1000is CHDK file to try?

Thanks

Sure, here ya go:
http://rapidshare.com/files/219956040/DISKBOOT.BIN