A490 Porting - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

A490 Porting

• 224 Replies
A490 Porting
« on: 18 / April / 2010, 07:53:06 »
Advertisements
Hi everyone!

I'm new here :P and I recently ordered a Canon A470 from my supplier with the intention of installing CHDK. However a New A490 was delivered out of their new stock... SOOOO I would like to contribute to the porting of chdk to the A490  :D

I'm competent with electronics (if I need to build a firmware dumper) and I have various programming experience (mainly C#) however this is my first attempt at hacking a hardware device like this...

Can anyone give me some advice where to start?  :)

Thanks!
~Rob
« Last Edit: 18 / April / 2010, 07:58:13 by robthepyro »

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: A490 Porting
« Reply #1 on: 18 / April / 2010, 08:20:46 »
This is a fine place to start http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/For_Developers

hth,

wim

« Reply #2 on: 24 / November / 2010, 08:10:08 »
How's your work?
Have good news?

« Reply #3 on: 26 / December / 2010, 06:29:07 »
Whoa sorry been really distracted by life... gonna try do some work on my camera today, will post progress here :)

« Reply #4 on: 12 / February / 2011, 17:42:15 »
Could I ask if you've made any progress?

I had CHDK installed on my a480 but recently had a mishap with it and today I saw an offer for an a490 which I found very tempting.
I wish I could help with the port myself, but I know very little about the actual physical electronics.

« Reply #5 on: 24 / March / 2011, 17:34:51 »
Hi everyone!
Rob,
I have like you a Canon A490 , I am ready to help if necessary .
I am a CHdk User for A550 and A590IS.
 :)

:D

Offline mrowl

« Reply #6 on: 24 / May / 2011, 14:19:57 »
I have an A490 and I'd really like to see chdk working on my camera. I started reading all the docs but as I don't have any experiences and I've never seen chdk working, porting seems to be a hard start for me. I can see above there were some tries but they seems to be stucked halfway. I'll try to do it as well in the hope the gurus will help me out answering my beginner questions (unless someone has good progress with it already. In this case please yell.)

First question: With the help of acid I figured out my fimware is 1.00f and I could download this firmware from the wiki. Can I trust in this file? How could I know it really the same as mine and the file isn't damaged? I think the best would be to dump the firmware by myself but I'm not really sure what to do. I followed exactly the Basic Script page but it does not work for me. What's wrong? I tried with both "original" and "universal" dumper. The result is nothing. To sum it all:

1. SD card is FAT16 and bootable
2. I edited the boot sector and checked it with Pelikan's EOSCARD
3. Placed script.req and extend.m to the root dir. Tried with UNIX and Windows linefeeds. No file was generated.
4. I tried the cardtricks way. The "strings" button showed nothing.
« Last Edit: 24 / May / 2011, 15:44:17 by mrowl »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 24 / May / 2011, 16:50:00 »
I followed exactly the Basic Script page but it does not work for me. What's wrong?
Most likely you did not actually follow the instructions exactly, since it works for much older and much newer cameras.

1. SD card is FAT16 and bootable
Not needed for script
2. I edited the boot sector and checked it with Pelikan's EOSCARD
Edited how ? You need to put the SCRIPT string at the correct offset.
3. Placed script.req and extend.m to the root dir. Tried with UNIX and Windows linefeeds. No file was generated.
Note that you must start the camera in play mode and press SET to run a canon script, assuming the rest is done correctly.
4. I tried the cardtricks way. The "strings" button showed nothing.
"Cardtricks way" is not a useful description of what you did. If you tried to use the udumpers available from card tricks, there is essentially no chance they will work.

Note that if you are not reasonably skilled in C and assembler, there's no need to try to get a dump, since you will not be able to do a port anyway.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline mrowl

« Reply #8 on: 25 / May / 2011, 10:18:15 »
Not needed for script
I thought it's worth to mention...
Edited how ? You need to put the SCRIPT string at the correct offset.
I used Winhex, put SCRIPT to 0x1f0 as written. Then I ran EOSCARD and saw the checkbox was checked next to "SCRIPT" (or whatever, I don't have the program nor the SD card with me currently, but I'm sure you get the point).
Note that you must start the camera in play mode and press SET to run a canon script, assuming the rest is done correctly.
Ahem. I assume this is written somewhere and I've just missed it. Of course I did not push any buttons.
"Cardtricks way" is not a useful description of what you did. If you tried to use the udumpers available from card tricks, there is essentially no chance they will work.
Let's try then it again: I ran cardtricks 1.44, pushed "newDryOS" button, was waiting for it to format the SD card and copy the necessary files; then I put the SD card into the camera, push the play mode button, counted slowly to 30, turned off camera, push the SD card to my computer, start Cardtricks again and push the "strings" button. In short, I did exactly what you have mentioned.

Note that if you are not reasonably skilled in C and assembler, there's no need to try to get a dump, since you will not be able to do a port anyway.
There are quite some of us have been waiting for A490 port for more than a year now. What is needed? The proper camera, motivation and time. Apparently no one had all these together for a year so I decided to do my contribution. What I'm asking for is just some assistance from the busy gurus. The worst thing to happen is that I'll stuck somewhere but until that point the process will be documented via the forum and someone can take it over. I'm not a skilled C or assembly programmer indeed but I have to start somewhere and at least I'm interested in porting.

So thanks for the tip with SET button, I'll try it as soon as I can.

Offline mrowl

« Reply #9 on: 25 / May / 2011, 17:10:45 »
OK it worked after
1) I converted the files to ISO-8859-1 (my default is UTF8) and
2) I pressed the FUNC/SET button.

I can see this in the binary:

Copyright (C) 1997-2009 by CANON Inc.
DRYOS version 2.3, release #0043

I hope this is OK. I'll continue reading the docs. :-)