Powershot G16 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum

Powershot G16

• 7 Replies
Powershot G16
« on: 07 / November / 2013, 02:40:45 »
Advertisements
Hi all,

first of all, thank you guys for the wonderful job. I've been reading a lot on CHDK and now I can't wait to use it on my new G16. Unfortunately , searching in the forum, I couldn't find any mention to the last Powershot G cameras.

I was almost tempted to try the G15 version on the G16, but, since it's new and expensive, I think I'll wait until there will be a proper version, instead.

So my question is: any idea on IF and WHEN? Any way I can help with some test, maybe?

Ok, thank you,
ciao,
F

Offline c10ud

Re: Powershot G16
« Reply #1 on: 07 / November / 2013, 07:43:33 »
Hi all,

first of all, thank you guys for the wonderful job. I've been reading a lot on CHDK and now I can't wait to use it on my new G16. Unfortunately , searching in the forum, I couldn't find any mention to the last Powershot G cameras.

I was almost tempted to try the G15 version on the G16, but, since it's new and expensive, I think I'll wait until there will be a proper version, instead.

So my question is: any idea on IF and WHEN? Any way I can help with some test, maybe?

Ok, thank you,
ciao,
F
chdk for g15 won't work, you may help by posting a firmware dump of your g16 for starters

« Reply #2 on: 07 / November / 2013, 07:48:41 »
link> CHDK FAQ : My camera isn't ported yet

After you've read that, be aware that the G16 apparently has Canon's newer firmware - which has yet to be hacked to support CHDK.  A ROM dump would help get that started : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Scripts/Dumper
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 07 / November / 2013, 16:33:03 »
It is virtually certain that all Digic 6 cameras use the thumb2 instruction set, like the sx280 http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=9992.0 and unlike all currently supported cameras.

This means that chdk support will probably not be available until there is a skilled developer who has a digic 6 camera and a substantial amount of time to dedicate to the the project.

In any case, a G16 dump would be useful to confirm this.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 19 / November / 2013, 03:59:35 »
Sorry for the late answer.
Sure I will post the dump as soon as I've time to understand the 'how to' instructions.
Probably during the next weekend.

After a quick glance it's not too clear to me, especially the part about creating and appending the script for the dump to the extend.m file... append means leave what's in and add the following. But I couldn't understand what's in the extend.m... any tip, please?

Cheers,
Federico
« Last Edit: 19 / November / 2013, 04:27:55 by federicuzzo_bello »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 19 / November / 2013, 12:42:00 »
But I couldn't understand what's in the extend.m
The extend.m file should contain the Canon Basic script (in your case, it will be the 'universal dumper'), and nothing else. "Append" is a bit misleading in that context.

« Reply #6 on: 20 / November / 2013, 01:24:29 »
Thank you Srsa!

I'll try it this weekend, in case of need I'll ask for help :D

Cheers, F.

« Reply #7 on: 17 / February / 2017, 19:28:36 »
Port for G16 started here :   G16 porting thread
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16